"The staff of Pet 'N Play are fantastic people - professional, thorough, kind and helpful. Not only did they take excellent care of our cat, they provided
tremendous help when we were out of state and our basement flooded. Thanks to Katy and John our trip (and basement!) were not ruined!" Harmony
Local Pet Events and Pet Holiday Calendar
Looking for local pet events? Ann Arbor pet events? Or any event that celebrates dogs, cats and other animals? How about some pet holidays to give you a reason to
Then this is the page! Check out the pet events below, and check back often for updates (or follow us on Facebook, and we will keep you up to date on the latest pet
If you know of any local events, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to add them here, in our newsletter and on our Facebook
Upcoming Adoption Dates: January 7, January 21
(all are Fridays, and adoptions are open 11-7)
at the Humane Society of Huron Valley, 3100 Cherry Hill Rd, Ann Arbor
Thank you for considering adopting and saving a life! COVID-19 has changed our adoption process. If you’re interested in adopting, please come to our shelter on the
Love Train Friday (see dates on this page). and scan the QR code posted on our front door by taking a photo of it on your phone. (The QR code will work from 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. on Love Train Fridays.)
Then, return to your car to enter your name and phone which places you into the virtual queue. You can see your place in line, and we’ll also notify you when it’s your turn to visit the puppies
that day. Visitations happen every half hour between 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Be prepared to adopt the same day! We’d suggest you complete a dog adoption application (profile, really) online beforehand. See you on a Love Train Friday!
Thank you for your interest in rescuing a homeless animal and for your support of this life-saving program! To see more about the Love Train, go to hshv.org/lovetrain.
2022 Pet Holidays
· Feb. 22: Marie Day. Designated by Walt Disney
Japan, this day celebrates Marie of The AristoCats!
· Feb. 22: Walking the Dog
- Feb. 22: World Spay Day. Annual campaign
by the Humane Society International and The Humane Society of the United States; held the last Tuesday of February. Created to combat the crisis of pet overpopulation in every corner of the globe,
animal lovers are encouraged to spread the word through social media and help to raise funds for the paws cause.
· Feb. 23: International Dog Biscuit Appreciation
- Poison Prevention Awareness
- Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig
- March 1: National Welsh Corgi
- March 1: National Cat’s Day in
- March 3: If Pets Had Thumbs Day.
- March 6-12: Professional Pet Sitters Week
- March 8: International Akita
- March 13: K-9 Veterans
- March 17: Saint Gertrude of Nivelles
Day— patron saint of cats.
- March 20-26: National Poison Prevention
- March 23: National Puppy Day.
- March 23. Cuddly Kitten
- March 25: National Newfoundland Dog
- March 28: Respect Your Cat Day.
- March 30: Take a Walk in the Park Day. Although not exclusively a
pet holiday, this day makes a great time to explore a new park with your dog!
- Canine Fitness
- National Adopt a Greyhound Month.
- National Heartworm Awareness
- National Pet First Aid Awareness
Month. This event is an effort by the American Red Cross to draw attention to the need to know
specialized pet first aid.
- Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- National Pet Month.
- April 1-7: International Pooper Scooper
- April 1-7: National Raw Feeding
· April 2: Every Day is Tag Day. Always the first Saturday in April.
· April 4: World Stray Animals Day.
· April 6: National Siamese Cat Day.
· April 8: National Dog Fighting Awareness Day.
· April 8: National Catahoula Day.
· April 10: National Hug Your Dog Day.
- April 10-16: Animal Care and Control Appreciation
Week. 2nd full week in April.
- April 10-16: National Dog Bite Prevention
Week. 2nd full week in April.
· April 11: National Pet Day.
· April 11: Dog Therapy Appreciation Day.
- April 17-23: Animal Cruelty/Human Violence
Awareness Week. An effort by the Humane Society of the United States. Third week in April.
- April 17-23: National Pet ID Week. Third
week in April.
- April 18: Pet Owner’s Independence Day. Brought to you by Wellcat
(who also invented holidays ranging from Cat Herders’ Day to Happy Mew Years for Cats Day), this holiday encourages pet lovers to take the day off from work and send their cat (or dog) in their
- April 19: Dog Parent Appreciation Day.
Launched in 2021 by Dr. Marty Pets, this day celebrates that inseparable bond between humans and their loving, canine
- April 19: National Cat Lady Day.
· April 21: Bulldogs are Beautiful Day.
· April 22: Earth Day.
· April 22: National Beagle Day.
· April 23: National Lost Dog Awareness
· April 24: National Pet Parents Day. Always the
last Sunday in April.
· April 26: National Kids and Pets Day.
- Last Sunday in April: International Search and
Rescue Dog Day. Dating back to 2008 with its founding in Austria, this holiday recognizes the important work that search and rescue dogs perform
· April 27: National Little Pampered Dog Day.
· April 27: International Guide Dog Day. Always the last Wednesday in
· April 29: Hairball Awareness Day. Last Friday in April.
- National Pet Month.
- National Foster Care
- Responsible Animal Guardian
- Lyme Disease Prevention
- Pet Cancer Awareness
Month. Sponsored by Pet Cancer Awareness and the Blue Buffalo Foundation for Cancer Research.
(Also see November events.)
- Chip Your Pet
- National Service Animal Eye
Exam. The American College of Veterinary Optholmologists hosts this annual event when over 300 veterinary ophthalmologists donate their services to provide eye
exams to service dogs in the US and Canada during the month of May.
- May 1-7: American Humane’s Be Kind to Animals
Week. This week-long event has been celebrated since 1915. Always the first full week of May.
- May 1-7: Dog Anxiety Awareness Week.
Founded by Assisi Animal Health.
- May 1-7: National Pet Week. Always held
the first full week of May by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- May 2-7: Puppy Mill Action Week. An
initiative of the HSUS, this week is always scheduled to begin the Monday before Mother’s Day.
- May 1: National Purebred Dog
· May 1: International Samoyed Day.
· May 1: Mayday for Mutts. First Sunday in
- May 1-7: National Scoop the Poop Week.
Starting the day after “National Sense of Smell Day” (the last Saturday of April), this week recognizes the importance of scooping that dog poop.
· May 3: National Specially-Abled Pets
· May 8: National Animal Disaster Preparedness
· May 10:
German Shepherd Day.
· May 14: National Dog Mom’s Day. Second Saturday in
· May 14: International Chihuahua
· May 20: National Rescue Dog
- May 28: Feast Day of St. Bernard of
Montjoux. The patron of hospices at two Alpine passes, later to be named Great and Little St. Bernard passes. The hospices were home to–you guessed it–St. Bernard dogs who were trained to
find lost travelers.
- May 28: International Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Day.
- Adopt-a-Cat Month®.
From the American Humane
Month. From the ASPCA.
- National Foster a Pet
Month. New from the Petco Foundation.
- National Pet Preparedness
Month. This month, timed for the first month of hurricane season, urges people with pets to
make preparations in case they should be hit by a disaster…and that includes making plans for what you would do with your dog in case of a hurricane, tornado, flood or other natural
- National Microchipping
- Social PETworking
- TBA: Animal Rights Awareness
· June 1: International Sheltie
· June 4: Hug Your Cat
· June 4: International Corgi
- June 5-11: Pet Appreciation Week. First
week in June.
· June 8: Best Friends
· June 11: Just One Day.
- June 12: Peruvian Hairless Dog Day. The
nation of Peru celebrates the “perro peruano sin pelo” with their own special day.
- June 12: Jerky Day. Although created to
highlight a favorite human snack, this date is also the perfect time to whip up a batch of homemade chicken
jerky for your dog, too!
· June 14:
World Pet Memorial Day. Second
Tuesday in June.
- TBA: Ugliest Dog Day. Although every dog is a beauty in the eyes of
their special person, this annual event coincides with the World’s Ugliest Dog Contest held in Petaluma, California as part of the Sonoma-Marin Fair.
- June 18: Veterinary Appreciation Day™. In
2015, Trupanion created Veterinary Appreciation Day to celebrate the critical role that veterinary professionals play in our lives. From the front desk to technicians to veterinarians, veterinary
professionals dedicate countless hours providing compassionate care for our pets, even throughout the most challenging of times.
· June 19: National Garfield the Cat
· June 20: Take Your Cat to Work
· June 21: National Dog Party
- June 21: National Dachshund Day. Always held on the
summer solstice, this day celebrates these long dogs on the longest day of the year.
· June 24: Cat World Domination
- June 24: Take Your Dog to Work Day®.
- National Lost Pet Prevention
Month™. Learn how to keep your pets from becoming lost in this month-long observance launched
- National Pet Hydration Awareness
- Dog House Repair
- TBA: National Feed a Rescue Pet Week:
Launched in 2017, this holiday by GreaterGood.org and The Animal Rescue Site aims to feed shelter pets.
· July 1:
ID Your Pet Day.
· July 4: International Whippet
- July 4: Independence Day. This US holiday is no holiday for dogs;
the sounds of fireworks causes many dogs to panic and run, resulting in many lost dogs every year.
- July 9: Coon Dog Day. This Saluda, North
Carolina festival is the perfect excuse to celebrate coonhounds everywhere.
· July 10: National Kitten Day. Always held on
July 10, this day celebrates the joy of kittens.
· July 11: All-American Pet Photo
- July 15: National Pet Fire Safety Day. Sponsored by the
The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC), ADT Security Services and the American Kennel Club® (AKC).
- July 16: Feline Leukemia Day. Community
Cats Podcast and Feline Leukemia advocacy supporter Margaret Tompkins hosts this annual online event with important expert information on this disease, ways to manage it and adoption of FeLV+
· TBA: World Collie Day.
- July 21: No Pet Store Puppies Day. As part of the ongoing
effort to end the suffering inflicted upon dogs through the puppy mill pipeline, the ASPCA declared July 21 No Pet Store Puppies Day.
- July 22: AAHA-Accredited Hospital Day or AAHA
Day. A day that celebrates facilities accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association.
- July 26: National Dog Photography Day.
- July 31: National Mutt Day. Also see Dec. 2.
- National Dog Month.
Launched in 2020, this observation held during the dog days of summer celebrates all the special joy of
- Rawgust. Celebration of raw feeding for pets for the month of August.
- TBA: Give a Dog a Bone Week. Hosted by Pets of the Homeless, the event features more than 400 Pets of the Homeless donation sites nationwide asking their community to bring donations of pet food and supplies to
assist the pets of the homeless.
- Aug. 1: DOGust Universal Birthday for Shelter
Dogs. The North Shore Animal League America, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization, declared August 1 as a birthday for all the shelter animals whose birthdays
are unknown. Happy DOGust!!
- Aug. 1: National Yorkie
Day. Coinciding with Yorkshire Day which recognizes the English county of Yorkshire, Yorkie Day celebrates the Yorkshire Terrier.
- Aug. 4: Assistance Dog Day. Part of
International Assistance Dog Week, this observation, always on August 4, honors the many types of assistance dogs.
· Aug. 5: Work Like a Dog Day.
- Aug. 7-13: International Assistance Dog
· Aug. 8: International Cat
· Aug. 8: National Cat
Day in Canada.
- Aug. 10: Snoopy’s Birthday. Peanuts Worldwide
celebrates the birthday of the world’s favorite beagle on this day.
- Aug. 10: National
Spoil Your Dog Day. We’ve got dozens of ways to spoil your dog–even more than
you do the rest of the year!
· Aug. 10: National Lazy
- Aug. 15: National Check the Chip Day.
AVMA and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) joined together to create “Check the Chip Day.”
· Aug. 16: Saint Roch’s Day. Patron saint of
· Aug. 17: National Black Cat Appreciation
· Aug. 17: National Nonprofit
· Aug. 20: Saint Bernard
- Happy Cat Month.
Established by the CATalyst Council.
- National Service Dog
- National Pet Insurance
· Responsible Dog Ownership
· Pet Sitter Education
· Animal Pain Awareness
- National Disaster Preparedness Month.
Led by FEMA’s Ready Campaign, Citizen Corps and The Advertising Council, this
effort encourages individuals, families, businesses and communities to work together and take action to prepare for emergencies. Visit Ready.gov.
- Sept. 1: Ginger Cat Appreciation Day. Celebrating orange-coated cats who have
made our world a little brighter with their flame-tinted fur and their colorful personalities.
· Sept. 1:
Boykin Spaniel Day. A South Carolina
observance honoring the South Carolina state dog.
- Sept. 8: National Dog Walker Appreciation
Day. Founded in 2016 by Wag!, this day (always Sept.8) recognizes the work of professional dog walkers.
- Sept. 11: National Pet Memorial Day. Established by the International Association Of Pet
Cemeteries & Crematories (IAOPCC). Second Sunday in September.
· Sept. 11:
National Hug Your Hound Day. Second
Sunday in September.
- Sept. 13: Pet
Birth Defect Awareness Day. A day dedicated to the issue of pet birth defects including information on identification, prevention and
· Sept. 13:
Scooby-Doo Day. The dog detective made his debut on this date in
- Sept. 17: Puppy Mill Awareness Day. Third Saturday in
· Sept. 17: Responsible Dog Ownership Day. Always
the third Saturday in September.
- Sept. 18-24: Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week.
- Sept. 18-24: National Deaf Dog Awareness
Week. Last full week in September.
- Sept. 18-24: National Dog Week. Last
full week in September.
· Sept. 19: National Meow Like a Pirate
- Sept. 22: National Walk ‘n’ Roll Dog Day.
Honoring dogs in wheelchairs and with mobility challenges.
- Sept. 22: Remember Me Thursday®
Remember Me Thursday® is an international social media awareness day that brings attention to the millions of adoptable pets waiting in shelters and remembers those pets
who never got a second chance. Share your rescue pet using #RememberMeThursday.
· Sept. 23:
Dogs in Politics Day (also known as Checkers Day).
Recognizing the dogs of politicians.
· Sept. 24: World’s Largest Pet
Walk. Sponsored by Pet Partners.
- Sept. 24: Old Yeller Day. Author Fred Gipson’s hometown of Mason,
Texas celebrates the famous tale on the last Saturday of September.
- Sept. 25: National Schnauzer Day.
- Sept. 28: World Rabies Day. Sponsored by the Global
Alliance for Rabies Control.
· Oct. 1: National Fire Pup Day.
- Oct. 1: National Black Dog Day. Helping to shine a
light on Black Dog Syndrome in shelters, this day celebrates the often-overlooked black dogs looking for a forever home.
· Oct. 2:
· Oct. 4:
World Animal Day.
· TBA: National Spoodle
· Oct. 12:
National Pet Obesity Awareness Day.
- Oct. 14: Vet Nurse Day. Also known as
Veterinary Nurse Day, this annual event is always scheduled for the second Friday in October.
- Oct. 15: National Pug Day. Since 2012, this annual event has celebrated one of the world’s oldest dog
· Oct. 15:
National Fetch Day.
- Oct. 16: Global Cat Day. What began as
National Feral Cat Day became Global Cat Day in 2018, an effort by Alley Cat Allie· s to shine the spotlight on all cats who may not have a home of their
- Oct. 16-22: National Veterinary Technician Week. Sponsored by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of
America. Always celebrated during the third week in October.
· Oct. 21: National Pets for Veterans
· Oct. 22: National Make a Dog’s
· Oct. 27:
National Black Cat Day in the
- Oct. 28: Plush Animal Lovers Day. A day
that most dogs will be happy to celebrate…as they unstuff those plush toys…
· Oct. 29: National Cat
- Oct. 30: National Treat Your Pet Day. Launched in 2021 by Dr. Marty
Pets, National Treat Your Pet Day encourages pet parents to treat their four-legged companions with delicious, nourishing snacks, extra love and attention.
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month.
- National Senior Pet
- National Pet Cancer Awareness Month. Sponsored by Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) and the Animal Cancer Foundation. (Also
see May events.)
- Pet Diabetes
- Nov. 1: National Cook for Your Pets
- Nov. 1: International Pet Groomer
- Nov. 6-12: National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. by The Humane Society of
the United States. First full week of November.
- Nov. 7: National Canine Lymphoma Awareness
- Nov. 13-19: Human-Animal Relationship Awareness
Week. Created in 2016 by the Animals & Society Institute, this week (always the 2nd week in November) is also known as HARA Week.
- Nov. 16: National Slobber Appreciation
- Nov. 17: National Black Cat Day. Also
celebrated on October 27.
- Nov. 17: National Take a Hike
- Nov. 18: National Feline Infectious Peritonitis
(FIP) Awareness, Research and Education Day.
- Nov. 23: Wolfenoot. This annual event, started in New Zealand, celebrates the Spirit of the Wolf and “is about
celebrating our pack – human and animal – helping where we can, and making the world a better, kinder place.”
- National Dog
Show. Always broadcast in
the US on Thanksgiving, this event is held at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Pennsylvania and is hosted by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia.
- National Cat Lover’s
- Dec. 1: Celebrate Shelter Pets Day.
Humane Society of the United States.
- Dec. 2: National Mutt Day. Also see July
- Dec. 9: International Day of Veterinary
- Dec. 10: International Animal Rights
- Dec. 15: National Cat Herders