"The staff of Pet 'N Play are fantastic people - professional, thorough, kind and helpful. Not only did they take excellent care of our cat, they provided
tremendous help when we were out of state and our basement flooded. Thanks to Katy and John our trip (and basement!) were not ruined!" Harmony
Local Pet Events and Pet Holiday Calendar
Looking for local pet events? Ann Arbor pet events? Or any event that celebrates dogs, cats and other animals? How about some pet holidays to give you a reason to
Then this is the page! Check out the pet events below, and check back often for updates (or follow us on Facebook, and we will keep you up to date on the latest pet
If you know of any local events, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to add them here, in our newsletter and on our Facebook
UPCOMING IMPORTANT LOCAL EVENTS:
Upcoming Adoption Dates: August 23, September 6, September 20
(all are Fridays, and adoptions are open 11-7)
at the Humane Society of Huron Valley, 3100 Cherry Hill Rd, Ann Arbor
Thanks to successful intake prevention programs and community support for adoption, along with grants and wonderful donors, HSHV is able to transport animals — often
puppies! — from struggling rescues and shelters with high euthanasia rates to HSHV via the Love Train.
Be sure to follow our Facebook page, as we will be posting pictures of the available dogs on the Thursday before the adoption events!
If you're interested in adoption, you can see the application (really, a profile) and fees at hshv.org/howtoadopt. Feel free to complete it online, or you complete it when you're here. HSHV is first-come, first-approved,
first-adopted-- so the closer you come to 11 on Friday, the more selection you'll have-- and to better serve you, please grab a number when you get here (the "take a number" will be placed outside
HSHV between 7:30-8 am on Friday. Some people come here early, grab a number, then go get coffee at Moonwinks down the road, and return at 11 a.m. when we open).
Thank you for your interest in rescuing a homeless animal and for your support of this life-saving program! To see more about the Love Train, go to hshv.org/lovetrain.
Saturday and Sunday, August 17-18, 2019
Performance Times: 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm
Rock N Roll K9s
At Frankenmuth River Place Shops Festival Platz Stage
The Rock N Roll K9s are performing at River Place Shops on August 17 and 18! Daily shows are at 12 noon, 2 PM and 4 PM in the Festival Platz near the Cass River Bar
and Grill. Watch these dogs perform amazing tricks, dances and competitions with a lively music soundtrack and lots of laughs! These performances are free to the public. Learn more at:
Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 9am
Bark for Life
at The Farm at St. Joe's
The American Cancer Society Bark For LifeTM is a noncompetitive walk event for dogs and their owners to raise funds and awareness for the American Cancer
Society's fight against cancer.
By supporting Bark For Life, you help the American Cancer Society save lives, and that helps us move closer to our ultimate goal of a world with less cancer and more birthdays.
So bring your best canine friend and join us for a fun-filled day starting with a walk, and then continuing with demonstrations, contests, and games.
Find out more here.
Monday, August 26 at 7pm
Dog Film Festival
at Ann Arbor's own arthouse Michigan Theater to celebrate International Dog Day! The NY Dog Film Festival includes short, curated films about dogs from around the world. And 10% of your ticket fee is
donated to help the animals at HSHV! To buy tickets or find out more, click
Saturday and Sunday, October 14-15, 2019
Memorial Park, located at 13 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue, Royal Oak
The Royal Oak Chamber of Commerce invites you to discover Barktoberfest, a fall festival for dogs and their people. Centered around locally-brewed craft beer and
music, this is the most dog-friendly event in town!
Barktoberfest encourages you to leash up your pooch pal and come out to enjoy a locally brewed beer, food and live music while you browse vendor booths with everything
from pet-related products to locally made crafts to bottlecap creations and cool wearables for craft beer collectors. Dogs can compete in the Howl-a-ween Costume Contest, Weiner Dog Race, and
So bring your BFF -- human or canine -- for an afternoon of food, shopping, fun, music, and oh yeah ... locally brewed beer. $5 entry fee (10 and under free) and IDs
are required. Live entertainment, food, dog contests and shopping -- centered around locally-brewed craft beer -- make this a fun event for all ages!
Find out more at royaloakchamber.com
There are also lots of great dog events throughout the state. Traveling around Michigan? Love dogs and dog events, like dog shows, obedience, rally, scent, games and
other events? Then check out the Michigan Canine Resource Guide Calendar of events!
PET HOLIDAY CALENDAR (brought to you by DogTipper.com):
2019 Pet Holidays
- National Train Your Dog Month.
- Walk Your Pet Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Bird Month.
- Jan. 2, 2019: National Pet Travel Safety Day.
- Jan. 2, 2019: Happy Mew Year for Cats Day.
- Jan. 14, 2019: National Dress Up Your Pet Day.
- Jan. 22, 2019: National Answer Your Cat’s Question Day.
- Jan. 24, 2019: Change a Pet’s Life Day.
- Jan. 29, 2019: Seeing Eye Guide Dog Anniversary.
- Beat the Heat Month.
- Dog Training Education Month.
- National Cat Health Month.
- Spay/Neuter Awareness Month. (Humane Society of the United States)
- Pet Dental Health Month.
- Responsible Pet Owners Month.
- National Prevent a Litter Month.
- Unchain a Dog Month.
- 2nd week in Feb.: Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week.
- Feb. 11-12, 2019: Westminster Kennel Club Annual Dog
Show. Held at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, this event is televised. Each breed has an associated rescue
- Feb. 14, 2019: Pet Theft Awareness Day.
- Feb. 20, 2019: Love Your Pet Day.
- Feb. 22, 2019: Walking the Dog Day.
- Feb. 23, 2019: International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day.
- Feb. 24-Mar. 2, 2019: National Justice for Animals Week.
- Feb. 26, 2019: World Spay Day. Annual campaign by the Humane Society International and The Humane Society of the United States; held the last Tuesday
- Poison Prevention Awareness Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month.
- March 3, 2019: If Pets Had Thumbs Day.
- March 3-10, 2019: Professional Pet Sitters Week.
- March 7-10, 2019: Crufts. Held in
Birmingham, England, this is the world’s largest dog show, featuring nearly 28,000 canines in its four days.
- March 13, 2019: K-9 Veterans Day.
- March 17, 2019: Saint Gertrude of Nivelles Day— patron saint of cats.
- March 17-23, 2019: National Poison Prevention Week.
- March 23, 2019: National Puppy Day.
- March 28, 2019: Respect Your Cat Day.
- National Adopt a Greyhound Month.
- National Heartworm Awareness Month.
- National Pet First Aid Awareness Month. This event is an effort by the American Red Cross to draw attention to the need to know specialized pet first
- Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs Month.
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month. (ASCPA)
- National Pet Month. (UK)
- April 1-7, 2019: International Pooper Scooper Week.
- April 6, 2019: National Siamese Cat Day
- April 6, 2019: Every Day is Tag Day. Always the first Saturday in April.
- April 7-13, 2019: National Raw Feeding Week
- April 7-13, 2019: Animal Care and Control Appreciation
Week. 2nd full week in April.
- April 7-13, 2019: National Dog Bite Prevention Week. 2nd full week in April.
- April 8, 2019: National Dog Fighting Awareness Day.
- April 10, 2019: National Hug Your Dog Day.
- April 11, 2019: National Pet Day.
- April 11, 2019: Dog Therapy Appreciation Day.
- April 14-20, 2019: Animal Cruelty/Human Violence Awareness Week. An effort by the Humane Society of the United States. Third week in
- April 14 – 20, 2019: National Pet ID Week. Third week in April.
- April 21, 2019: Bulldogs are Beautiful Day.
- April 22, 2019: Earth Day.
- April 23, 2019: National Lost Dog Awareness Day.
- Apr. 24, 2019: International Guide Dog Day.
- April 26, 2019: National Kids and Pets Day.
- April 26, 2019: Hairball Awareness Day. Last Friday in April.
- April 27, 2019: World Veterinary Day. This event from the World
Veterinary Association is always celebrated on the last Saturday in April.
- April 28, 2019: National Pet Parents Day.
- April 30, 2019: Adopt a Shelter Pet Day.
- April 30, 2019: National Therapy Animal Day.
- Apr. 30, 2019: National Tabby Day.
- National Pet Month. (US)
- Responsible Animal Guardian Month.
- Lyme Disease Prevention Month.
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month. Sponsored by Pet Cancer Awareness and the Blue Buffalo Foundation for Cancer Research. (Also see November
- Chip Your Pet Month.
- National Service Animal Eye Exam. The American College of
Veterinary Optholmologists hosts this annual event when over 300 veterinary ophthalmologists donate their services to provide eye exams to service dogs in the US and
Canada during the month of May.
- May 1, 2019: National Purebred Dog Day.
- May 3, 2019: National Specially-Abled Pets Day.
- May 5, 2019: Mayday for Mutts. First Sunday in May.
- May 5 – 11, 2019: American Humane’s Be Kind to Animals Week. This week-long event has been celebrated since 1915. Always the first full week of
- May 5-11, 2019: National Pet Week. Always held the first full week of May by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- May 6-11, 2019: Puppy Mill Action Week. An initiative of the HSUS, this week is always scheduled to begin the Monday before Mother’s Day.
- May 11, 2019: National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day.
- May 14, 2019: International Chihuahua Appreciation Day.
- Adopt-a-Cat Month®. From the American Humane
- Adopt-a-Shelter-Cat Month. From the ASPCA.
- National Pet Preparedness Month. This month, timed for the first month of hurricane season, urges people with pets to make preparations in case they
should be hit by a disaster…and that includes making plans for what you would do with your dog in case of a hurricane, tornado, flood or other natural disaster.
- National Microchipping Month.
- June 2-8, 2019: Pet Appreciation Week. First week in June.
- June 4, 2019: Hug Your Cat Day.
- June 8, 2019: Best Friends Day
- June 9, 2019: World Pet Memorial Day. Second Sunday in June.
- June 11, 2019: Just One Day.
- June 16-22, 2019: Animal Rights Awareness Week.
- June 17-21, 2019: Take Your Pet to Work Week®.
- June 17, 2019: Take Your Cat to Work Day®.
- June 19, 2019: National Garfield the Cat Day.
- June 21, 2019: Take Your Dog to Work Day®.
- National Lost Pet Prevention Month™. Learn how to keep your pets from becoming lost in this month-long observance launched by PetHub.
- July 1, 2019: ID Your Pet Day.
- July 4, 2019: Independence Day. This US holiday is no holiday for dogs; the sounds of fireworks causes many dogs to panic and run, resulting in many
lost dogs every year.
- July 5, 2019: Pet Remembrance Day.
- July 11, 2019: All-American Pet Photo Day.
- July 15, 2019: National Pet Fire Safety Day. Sponsored by the The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC), ADT Security Services and the American
Kennel Club® (AKC).
- July 21, 2019: National Craft for your Local Shelters Day.
- July 21, 2019: No Pet Store Puppies Day.
- July 31, 2019: National Mutt Day. Also see Dec. 2.
- Aug. 1, 2019: DOGust Universal Birthday for Shelter Dogs. The North Shore Animal League America, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and
adoption organization, declared August 1 as a birthday for all the shelter animals whose birthdays are unknown. Happy DOGust!!
- Aug. 4-10, 2019: International Assistance Dog Week.
- Aug. 5, 2019: Work Like a Dog Day.
- Aug. 8, 2019: International Cat Day.
- Aug. 10, 2019: Spoil Your Dog Day.
- Aug. 10, 2019: National Lazy Day.
- Aug. 15, 2019: National Check the Chip Day. AVMA and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) joined together to create “Check the Chip
- Aug. 16, 2019: Saint Roch’s Day. Patron saint of dogs.
- Aug. 17, 2019: International Homeless Animals’
- Aug. 17, 2019: National Black Cat Appreciation Day.
- Aug. 22, 2019: National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day.
- Aug. 26, 2019: National Dog Day.
- Aug. 28, 2019: Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day.
- Aug. 30, 2019: National Holistic Pet Day.
- Happy Cat Month. Established by the CATalyst Council.
- National Service Dog Month.
- National Pet Insurance Month.
- National Disaster Preparedness Month. Led by FEMA’s Ready Campaign, Citizen Corps and The Advertising Council, this effort encourages
individuals, families, businesses and communities to work together and take action to prepare for emergencies. Visit Ready.gov.
- Sept. 1, 2019: Ginger Cat Appreciation Day.
- Sept. 8, 2019: National Pet Memorial Day. Established by the International Association of Pet Cemeteries (IAPC). Second Sunday in
- Sept. 8, 2019: National Hug Your Hound Day. Second Sunday in September.
- Sept. 13, 2019: Pet Birth Defect Awareness Day. A day dedicated to the issue of pet birth defects including information on identification, prevention
and treatment. Sponsored by MBJungle.
- Sept. 21, 2019: Puppy Mill Awareness Day. Third Saturday in September.
- Sept. 21, 2019: Responsible Dog Ownership Day.
- Sept. 22-28, 2019: National Deaf Dog Awareness Week. Last full week in September.
- Sept. 22-28, 2019: National Dog Week. Last full week in September.
- Sept. 23, 2019: Dogs in Politics Day (also known as Checkers Day). Recognizing the dogs of politicians.
- Sept. 26, 2019: Remember Me Thursday® Remember Me
Thursday® is an international social media awareness day that brings attention to the millions of adoptable pets waiting in shelters and remembers those pets who never got a second chance. Share your
rescue pet using #RememberMeThursday.
- Sept. 28, 2019: World Rabies Day. Sponsored by the Global Alliance for Rabies Control.
- Sept. 28, 2019: World’s Largest Pet Walk. Sponsored by Pet Partners.
- Adopt-A-Dog Month®. By American Humane Association.
- Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month. By ASPCA.
- National Animal Safety and Protection Month.
- National Pet Wellness Month.
- National Pit Bull Awareness Month.
- 1st Week of October. National Walk Your Dog Week.
- 1st Full Week of October. Animal Welfare Week. (AVMA)
- Oct. 1, 2019: National Fire Pup Day.
- Oct. 1, 2019: National Black Dog Day.
- Oct. 4, 2019: World Animal Day.
- Oct. 9, 2019: National Pet Obesity Awareness Day.
- Oct. 13-19, 2019: National Veterinary Technician Week. Sponsored by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America.
- Oct. 16, 2019: Global Cat Day.
- Oct. 19, 2019: National Fetch Day.
- Oct. 26, 2019: National Pit Bull Awareness Day. Last Saturday in Oct. (unless Halloween falls on the last Saturday, then another date is
- Oct, 27, 2019 : National Black Cat Day in the UK.
- Oct. 28, 2019: Plush Animal Lovers Day. A day that most dogs will be happy to celebrate…as they unstuff them…
- Oct. 29, 2019: National Cat Day
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month. By ASPCA.
- National Pet Awareness Month.
- National Senior Pet Month.
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month. Sponsored by Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) and the Animal Cancer Foundation. (Also see May events).
- Pet Diabetes Month.
- Nov. 1, 2019: National Cook for Your Pets Day.
- Nov. 3-9, 2019: National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. by The Humane Society of the United States. First full week of November.
- Nov. 7, 2019: National Canine Lymphoma Awareness Day.
- Nov. 17, 2019: National Black Cat Day.
- Nov. 17, 2019: National Take a Hike Day.
- National Dog Show. Always broadcast in the US on Thanksgiving, this event is held at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Pennsylvania and
is hosted by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia.
- National Cat Lover’s Month.
- Dec. 2, 2019: National Mutt Day. Also see July 31.
- Dec. 15, 2019: National Cat Herders Day.
"A kitten is chiefly remarkable for rushing about like mad at nothing whatever, and generally stopping before it gets there."- Agnes